Friday, March 28, 2014

The Truth About Support


I have a confession to make. It's a difficult thing to admit, but I want to be completely honest with you.

In the past, when I've received letters asking for support for long-term or short-term missions, I've been a little skeptical. Not about the mission, but about one of the categories of support being asked for.

I'm talking about prayer support.



Most missionary support letters request financial and prayer support. My confession is that I always thought the part about prayer was in those letters to give the prospective supporter a nice, clean pass on financial support. I have no idea why I felt this way, especially because I was seldom in a position to give financial support and so I was happy to give prayer support.

Now that we are in the process of building a support team for our year on the mission field I know the truth about asking for support:


PRAYER IS ABSOLUTELY, WITHOUT A DOUBT, THE MOST VITAL FORM OF SUPPORT YOU CAN GIVE US!

Don't get me wrong, we obviously need financial support to sustain us while we're on the field, but if we had all the money we need and nobody supporting us in prayer we would be in a world of trouble. We have learned to trust the Lord for our physical needs, but even that trust comes in conjunction with prayer! We ask God to meet our needs and He is always faithful to do it.

So, yes, we need financial support and we hope you'll be obedient if the Lord leads you to give in that way.

The truth, however, is that without your consistent prayer support and interceding on our behalf, we will not be able to successfully fulfill our calling to serve in the Dominican Republic.

No comments:

Post a Comment