Thursday, August 21, 2014

A Few Parting Words

Here we are on the evening before we make our big move to the Dominican Republic for a year. This has been a week full of work, sweat, dirt, hugs, prayer, tears, laughs and a wide range of emotions.

It is nearly impossible to describe the feelings we're experiencing as we are almost ready to make the move God has called us to make. It is the strangest mix of excitement and loss, of anticipation and anxiety. We are more convinced than ever that we are doing what God has told us to do, but the reality of saying so many goodbyes to beloved people makes the process very difficult!

We want to thank everyone who has supported us in any way, and that's a lot of people! We would not be able to do this without you and your generosity - both in prayer and in finances. So, THANK YOU!

Throughout the last month, and especially the last week, we've learned some lessons:

1. The best goodbyes are when family or friends cry because you're leaving but also cheer you on through the tears. We have been blessed with times of prayer, encouragement and hugs during our farewells.

2. This is not the end, but the beginning. With the BIG step directly in front of us, it's tempting to start wondering, "What's next God?" It's not that we feel like we've completed the task, just that we're almost past the first big hurdle. The lesson for us is that we should be asking every single day, "What's next God?" Then when He speaks, we can obey.

3. Obeying God is simply the BEST way to live! It's not the easiest. It's not the most comfortable. It's not predictable and it's not always neat and tidy. But it is always the best! Walking in obedience these past few years, and especially the last several months, has revealed our Father's love for us in new and amazing ways. He always wants the best for us, even if it means we have to go through difficulties in order to get there!

In the Gap, a book by Pastor Wilfredo
DeJesus, is one of our current reads. You
can buy it HERE!
4. WALK TOWARD NEED! God has faithfully continued to speak to us, even when we've been almost too busy to stop and listen. During the Willow Creek Global Leadership Summit on Dan's last day of work at Nappanee Missionary Church, God used Pastor Wilfredo DeJesus to speak what may be the defining words of our time in the DR. WALK TOWARD NEED is easy to say and anyone who wants to follow Jesus would quickly acknowledge that it's the right attitude to have, but it is much more difficult to live out! As those words rang in my ears, I saw pictures of specific people and situations I've noticed on past trips to the Dominican Republic. Fear seized me when I thought of actually walking toward those people and their needs! But the example of Jesus is clear - He walked toward poor people, sinners, outcasts, sick people, lepers, beggars and prostitutes. He saw them with eyes of love and an intention to DO something for them. Isn't it interesting that we don't read of Jesus seeing a need, praying about it and then moving on? Prayer was an integral part of Jesus' life but so was ACTION! Please pray for us, as we hit the ground tomorrow in the Dominican Republic, that we will have the courage to WALK TOWARD THE NEED and DO SOMETHING!

Until we get settled in our new country, we will likely not have telephone service, but here are a few ways you can contact us via the internet:

Email: danweiss76@gmail.com
           krweiss78@gmail.com

Skype: dominicanweissfamily (please email first to set up a time with us)

In closing, our kids wanted to share a few words with all of you!

From HANAH:
HOLA! I just want to share about how God is speaking to me and preparing us to leave. This past week I was looking for my iPod charger, I was so upset because I couldn't find it anywhere. So I found a quiet spot to sit where I could concentrate. I prayed and asked God to help me find it. The moment I finished praying God told me exactly where it was and I found it with God's help! I just want to say that I was so amazed that night. I am so excited to see God moving in not only you but the people we minister to down in the Dominican Republic. God is so amazing and He is so kind and compassionate! As God has called us to move to the DR I want you all to know that you don't have to be called right now or have a call right this second. God will call you when He is ready to make the move! Could I ask you to pray for not just me specifically but my whole family to have just a wonderful peace and calmness while we prepare to leave and that we would be able to make great connections with others!! I am so thankful that God will be standing with us all the way, in the sadness, and in the happiness, and in the hard times, and in the amazing God moment times! Thank you for your wonderful support! I want to say that I am pumped to go and just serve my heart out, but I am also sad that I won't be seeing some of my friends for this year. I have a list of emotions but I can't list them all...
1. I am like totes (totally) excited.
2. I am sad to say goodbye.
3. I can't even believe that we're leaving TOMORROW!!!!
That's all I can get out tonight. And plus, David is begging me to get off so we can play a game. I might as well! I will miss you all!!!!!! - Even if I don't know you very well!:)
ADIOS!!!!
Love,
*Hanah Weiss*    :)

From DAVID:
What's up? I just wanted to say some special Thank Yous and some special Goodbyes. First I want to thank my Grandparents for letting us spend the night at their house. I want to thank my Grandparents for being so supportive. I want to say a special goodbye to Tyrus and a special goodbye to the Reimer family. I want to say a big Thank You to GOD!!!
Adios!

1 comment:

  1. Much love and prayers to an amazing family living it out for God! We will want to skype soon after you have time to get settled. Give out love to Eduardo, his family and Pastor Quina.

    ReplyDelete